Pages

Tuesday 8 September 2015

Vacation blog part four!!

5:28 AM - really? REALLY?? I somehow managed to set the alarm on my phone to go off at 528??? What an asshole.

10:00 AM - well that's sleeping in. The latest I have slept in about a decade, I reckon. Not a great sleep though, and Tracey slept even worse so hopefully we can soldier on and still have a full day. It won't be quite as late a day as the parks close earlier tonight but we are viewing World of Colour at 8:15 tonight so it won't be a short day either.

Oh boy. Tracey asks me what the weather will be like today to which I respond "sunny and hot". She asks me to be a bit more specific so I pull up the forecast and notice it is ALREADY 31 degrees, on its way to 37 in a few hours. Holy shit. We are under a "severe heat advisory" today. Gulp.

We head into Disneyland to try to take advantage of a quieter day and a day that had to be devoid of school age children. If k see any kids older than 5 in the park today I am going to place them and their parents under citizen's arrest. It's just the right thing to do.

Oh, and since the park closed at Midnight last night, Hall'o'ween has arrived. The entire set of Hall'o'ween decorations went up in 9 hours. Unreal.

And OMFG it's hot and humid, it reminds me of our first trip to Florida when we could hardly stand to be outside for more than 20 minutes. Literally DRIPPING in sweat.

After a few rides including Indiana Jones, Peter Pan (which just recently re-opened after a significant remodel) and Buzz Lightyear (where Tracy beat me AGAIN!), we decided to take the Monorail out of the park and walk up Downtown Disney to do a bit more shopping; just one problem, the Monorail was shut down due to the heat!!! You know it's hot when.......

So we walk out of the park through the main gates for the last time this trip, which always brings sadness. What a great, albeit short, trip this has been. It's not over yet of course.

Doing some shopping at World of Disney and we come across a little girl (3ish) bawling and bleeding a bit from a small head wound. A manager has brought some ice for the girl but her parents are going apeshit. Dad says "where are the nurses???? If someone had a heart attack they'd be dead by now!!!!" The manager politely points out that the nurses aren't going to come running for a small wound that only requires some ice, to which the Dad starts yelling "LAWSUIT LAWSUIT!!!!" and mom pulls out her camera to take a picture of the small bump on her head. I am not making that up.

Now, full disclosure, I did not see what happened to the child, but let's assume it was not a rogue Disney employee attacking her with a baseball bat. You're really going to threaten a lawsuit because the nurses won't come running to deal with your kid's insignificant wound? They brought her ice, they are trying to help, so shut up and say "thank you", you overbearing, overprotective pricks. Oh and Dad, I can guarantee that if "someone had a heart attack" the nurses would have been there in time to help. They just didn't come running because a tiny nosebleed is a nuisance, not an injury.

Jesus, if my parents treated me like that every time I hurt myself when I was younger I would have spent my entire childhood in bubble wrap. What the Hell is wrong with parents these days???

3:30 PM - we are all parked and shopped-out for now, back to the room to rest up for our dinner and World of Colour evening.

5:15 PM - Tracey is up from a little nappin' and we are off to Wine Country Trattoria for dinner. While we are waiting we get to see the Pixar Play Parade which is exactly the same as the last couple times we saw it except that the Monsters Inc. floats morphed into Monsters University. Nice parade but it needs an upgrade, it's been around too long.

Dinner is excellent as always and we finish with lots of time before we need to get in the viewing area for WOC. Seated next to us is the most adorable infant who keeps trying to play peek-a-boo with Tracey.

We head over to the Voyage of the Little Mermaid which is an underrated ride and also it is VERY COOL inside which is a bonus as it's still crazy hot out. Right after the ride we notice that a line is starting to form to get into our VIP viewing area for the show so we head over there and soon head inside to secure our places for the show. I am peeved to discover that some people are allowed into a special place where they get to sit while we have to stand. Tracey points out that they are in wheelchairs. Damn, first all the good parking spaces and now this? They get all the breaks.

7:30 PM - sitting down waiting for the show writing the blog and I notice that my feet have both fallen asleep. I may have to get up now which is considerably easier said than done. Pretty close to falling into the water.

Looking around I notice how gorgeous it is here when the sun goes down. The lights are spectacular.

8:15 PM - the new World Of Colour show begins and Tracey and I stand in awe for half an hour. It's inconceivable to suggest that they managed to surpass the old show that was close to perfect as it was. The other show was a celebration of Disney animation, mostly, and this was was more of a celebration of Disneyland and Walt Disney himself. Breathtaking doesn't do it justice.

And oh, it also contains a long tribute to Disney's latest cash cow, Frozen, which actually gave me goosebumps. And let's not forget some scenes from their next big thing, Star Wars Episode VII. I have three words for you:

"Chewie, we're home."

Tracey, we're home. And I wish we never ever had to leave.

Tomorrow, a relaxing pool day and hopefully an on-time First Class flight back home. There are worse ways to leave the Happiest Place on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment