Pages

Thursday 27 July 2017

Vacation Blog VIII, Part 1....here we go!!!

Prologue. Last night:

Holy shit. Our passports expired in May.

Oops. And we board a plane for Vegas in about 28 hours.

After a few moments of panic, we realize that we have previously traveled in the US without our passports; and most of them time when we have our passports, we don't need them anyway.

And, I've been across the border to pick up stuff at our US postal box many times since the passports expired, with no issues.

THANK CHRIST for Nexus is I all can say about that.

11:00 AM - Across the border in just a few minutes; no problems, no questions about the passports at all. One hurdle down. Very friendly border guard. Hey, they have a fucking tough job, no question about it, but it's nice when they can be efficient AND friendly.

2:15 PM - Hurdle two is easily defeated, as with our Nexus cards and TSAPreChek, we breeze through airport security. Didn't even get a full body pat-down, which is disappointing, but maybe I'll get lucky on the way home.

2:30 PM - After a quick bite at Burger King (seriously, Whoppers are SO GOOD....for the first half hour or so, until my body realizes what I just ate), off to the Alaska Air lounge to relax for a couple hours until our flight. Comfortable lounge, friendly staff, free booze (if that is your thing) and snacks. I will always fly First Class just for this perk. And power for my electronics...SO MANY OUTLETS. I currently have three devices charging and there is room for more.

3:30 PM - Well, I am going to have to leave the lounge for a few minutes to find some Band-Aids for my lovely wife, who I must now anoint "Ridiculous Bear", as she decided, while in Winners yesterday, that the day before a trip where she will be doing a tremendous amount of walking was a good time to buy a new pair of shoes. And, wait for it........she has blisters. I know, shocking.

She wanted me to point out that these shoes are INCREDIBLY comfortable everywhere except for the place that they have made her bleed her own blood. So there's that.

3:45 PM - Ridiculous Bear , sitting next to me while I am typing this, asks me if I am going to be doing a vacation blog this trip. So now, let me introduce you to "Unobservant Bear". I am definitely going to have a wild animal problem on this trip.

As a friend of mine once said, "It doesn't cost any more to pay attention". :)

5:30 PM - Comfortably in our seats as the plane takes off. Assuming no problems en route, we are scheduled to land about 15 minutes earlier than originally indicated.

We could have used some of the excess outlets from the lounge, though, as we are on a pretty old plane and there are no power outlets. Ah, who cares? It's a 2 hour-ish flight. Nothing is going to run out of power on this flight.

The meals we get on Alaska are always top-notch; this is probably my least favorite of all of the, but there isn't really anything wrong with it, it's just not to my taste. It consists of a perfectly tasty chicken breast, but it is served on a bed of cold couscous (ick), so that goes over to the wife. It also comes with a very nice bun and excellent salad so really, it's still a very good meal. I should probably stop my f'n whining. I'm in First Class on the way to Sin City!

8:00 PM - I am finally watching Slumdog Millionaire but I don't quite get finished before we land. Very uneventful flight, which of course is exactly the kind of flight you want.

9:00 PM - Dropping off our rental car at the valet and headed to Paris to check-in. They actually have advanced check-in now, which I took advantage of....BUT, it requires you to scan your ID at a kiosk (US DL or Passport) and since I can't produce either of those, we have to go stand in a pretty long line to check in. It is efficient, however, and we are up in the room in short order.

The view from our room isn't half bad.


10:00 PM - Contended Bear is already deep into the bathtub.

Time to wind down and hit the sack. Hopefully, a nice, restful evening.

Tomorrow: we POOL!!




No comments:

Post a Comment