Pages

Friday 28 July 2017

Vacation Blog VIII, Part II, as we attempt to do almost nothing in an entire day.

5:51 AM - Aw seriously? I'M ON FUCKING VACATION!! I can't even sleep until 6 AM??? Really? REALLY?

6:10 AM - Really.

6:15 AM - Well as long as I'm awake, I might as well get out of bed and go sit in the bathtub or something.....I know better than to turn on the computer or anything that might wake the wife at this time of the morning on vacation. That would bring on a version of Grumpy Bear that I just cannot handle today.

8:00 AM - I am enjoying a perfectly nice bath, reading some fine magazines, when I hear stirring in the wilderness. This is early for hibernation to end, but it's true! The wife is awake and is going to stay awake, so we can go for an early breakfast. This might be the earliest non-forced breakfast we have ever had.

9:15 AM - Across the street in the Bellagio Café, where we order basically the exact same thing we have every time we come here; I have the Café Benedict, Tracey has the Applewood Smoked Bacon Omelette, and we leave with our bellies very full and very satisfied. Best casual breakfast spot in this city, for sure.

10:05 AM - We are in our Cabana for our pool day, and the first frosty beverages have been ordered. The Pina Colada count has begun.

10:15 AM - Jesus, it's hot.

10:30 AM - Our day takes on an interesting pattern.

Into the pool. Wow, it's beautiful in here.

Out of the pool, into the sun. Wow, it's beautiful here.
(2 minutes later) Wow, it's getting warm
(2 minutes later) Holy SHIT it's hot out here

Into the pool. Wow, it's beautiful in here.

Repeat, about 15 times.

By the time it gets to around Noon, I am already done. It is 104 degrees today.

I brought my workout gear with me so I'm going to leave the pool and hit the (air conditioned) gym for a little workout.

Not so fast, by the time I get from the cabana to the door, I am exhausted, so I decide to go up for a little nappy-poo.

1:30 PM - As naps go, that was pretty unimpressive. Still, hopefully it will give me a jolt of energy to go back to the pool and continue enjoying our day.

There are two areas where Las Vegas really seems to be lagging behind the rest of the civilized world. One is gluten-free menu options; I'm sure we will talk about that a lot during this trip. The other one?

Smoking.

Jesus Christ, people are allowed TO SMOKE IN THE FUCKING POOL in this city. IN THE POOL.

Tracey is in the pool, sitting in a little nook, reading a book, when some carcinogenic whore comes and starts puffing her death stick just about 5 feet away from her, chasing her out of her comfortable spot. And later, the cabana next to us fills up with a bunch of these people who think it's just fine to smoke anywhere they fucking please, including right beside us. Seriously, this fucking city needs to get a clue and send these people back into their cars and their homes, which is the ONLY place smoking should be allowed anywhere in the world.

Anyhoo, back to our day. We order a nice little lunch from the pool café, and Tracey orders another drink. I am honestly too hot and dehydrated to have another drink now, so I actually have a Gatorade, which helps. We spend the next couple hours relaxing, mostly in the pool, and then we call it a day.

5:00 PM - Up to the room and Sleepy Bear lays down for a rest. It's already been a big day, and we have dinner plans at one of our favorite spots, Mon Ami Gabi!

6:00 PM - After a short appearance by Discombobulated Bear (after her alarm wakes her up), we are up and ready to go to dinner. We are not in a huge rush and are expecting a wait for the outdoor seating at Mon Ami Gabi so we walk around the shops between Paris and Bally's to see what's new. GAME CHANGED. The frozen daiquiri bar near Bally's NOW HAS PINA COLADAS!! They never used to have them. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

But not right now, we are on our way to dinner.

6:20 PM - We arrive at the restaurant and are delighted to find out they have one open table, saved just for us, of course. Dinner is just fantastic as it always is here, and they have a terrific gluten-free menu! A big plus. This is our first time to Vegas since Tracey has been trying to eat gluten-free so we are not sure what we are in for.

Before the meal, we always get a complimentary baguette.


It's good, but I mean, it's just a baguette, and it's no good to Tracey.

But they have thought of that too!


Anyone who asks can have warmed gluten free bread, served with a little bowl of olives (HEY! I didn't get any freaking olives!!!). Nice touch, and a sure sign that they are taking gluten-free seriously.

After perusing the wine menu, and deciding what we are going to have for dinner, we decide on a 2012 Sancerre.

Not a wine I was familiar with, but I figured the crisp flavors of this Sauvignon Blanc would go well with everything we were going to eat. I believe I may have broken my arm patting myself on the back during the meal, because I freaking nailed it.

Tracey starts off her meal with a bowl of cold cucumber soup, followed by a beautiful chicken dish served on a bed of ratatouille. I start with the always-fresh shrimp cocktail and follow that up with their special, grilled sea bass with polenta, corn and bacon. Freaking incredible, from start to finish.

Oh, and did I mention it went well with the wine???

After dinner we take a little walk down to Planet Hollywood to cruise their Miracle Mile shops. We walk into an art gallery and immediately see a painting we both fell in love with. The price tag, $3000, was just a touch out of our price range....had she said "$1K", I think we would have had a new piece of art.

9:00 PM - Back to the room to unwind a bit and get a good night's sleep. This is our last night in Paris (WHAT? We just got here???), as tomorrow we move to our timeshare resort. Tracey calls down to the desk to find out details on late checkout, and they tell her that they can't actually tell us that until after midnight. OK, that is just weird. I guess we'll call in the morning.

Great day one!!

Pina Colada count: 1 (but Tracey says it counts extra because it was at 10 AM!)
Money gambled: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment