Pages

Thursday 24 March 2016

Vacation Blog Part VI: The Undiscovered Country

Boy that's a lame title.....but try to find the 6th movie in a series that doesn't absolutely suck. And we are going to a few countries we haven't been to so "Undiscovered Country" makes a bit of sense. It's just too bad that it's the title of a totally forgettable entry in the original Star Trek series. Could be worse, I guess, at least it's not the one with the freaking whales.

Pro(b)logue:

Wednesday, April 23

4:00 AM - I arrive at work. That is not a typo. I normally start at 7 but this week I'm trying to acclimate myself to Eastern time so I started at 6 on Monday, 5 yesterday and 4 today. Holy shit it's early. Having said that, it's working, I'm not as tired as I'd expect at 4 AM...and lemme tell you, this is the time to be commuting to work!!

Even a huge difference in the traffic between yesterday when I left home at 4:30 and this morning when I left at 3:30. Huge.

Another reason to be here so early is that I have a ton to get done and am leaving early to finish up some stuff before we head to the Airport. We fly out tomorrow morning but we are staying at the Fairmont at YVR tonight and want to get an early sleep to say on "Eastern" time. Our flight is at 6 AM.

4:30 PM - We arrive at the Fairmont and WOW what a gorgeous hotel. Not a huge surprise I suppose. Staff is first class and it's pretty nice to be sleeping right above the check in desk.

We head down to Vino Volo, our new favorite airport hangout, and have a nice plate of charcuterie and 3 wine flights. Not bad to get to taste 9 different wines and some food pairing all for about $60.

After dinner and some time in the hot tub......not the same Hah-tub as at the prestigious Welshly Arms of course......


.....but pretty darn good nonetheless.....we headed up to the room to try to get to sleep nice and early in preparation for another early day, flying to Fort Lauderdale via Seattle.

It's been years since we flew from YVR; we always fly out of Bellingham or Seattle. Why did we do it this time?

I have no idea.

I honestly can't remember what prompted me to book this. It honestly makes more sense to drive to Seattle, stay at a hotel near to SeaTac and fly direct from Seattle to FLL. I booked this about a year ago and I can't for the life of me remember why.

Don't get me wrong, we've had a great start to the trip and this hotel is fabulous, but getting up that early to hop on a plane for half an hour just to change planes in Seattle and wait another hour or so for the flight to FLL seems weird. I guess we'll see. I always wondered what kind of lunatics would fly from YVR to SeaTac. I guess now I'm one of them. I feel shame.

As if that isn't enough, we have to fly COACH tomorrow. COACH. F'n First Class was full. We were able to upgrade to an exit row so at least we'll have a little more leg room, but I have seriously been spoiled by First Class. Thankfully we are flying FC home.




No comments:

Post a Comment