Pages

Friday 23 November 2018

Vacation Blog X, Part 8, it's a special day in a special place! Our second day in Kaua'i!

Friday, November 23rd

49 years ago today, some asshole was born. Well, I'm sure there were a lot of assholes born on this day in 1969, but for today, I'm just going to focus on one of them: me!

7:45 AM - Well that is a pretty decent birthday sleep-in! And I feel better than I have the last couple of days; felt like I was fighting off a bit of a cold, but that is mostly gone this morning. That's good, because there is at least one seriously kick-ass bottle of wine in my not-too-distant future, and I want to be 100% to enjoy it!

I wake up to a ton of "Happy Birthday" messages on text and on Facebook already. Of course, a couple of the texts came in at 5 AM because somebody forgot that we are 2 hours to the West here, but no biggie, it didn't wake up the wife (hence no sign of Grouchy Bear!).

We hit the breakfast buffet for the last time and Tracey is quickly replaced by Pool Bear while I go back to the room and deal with a few little things. I join her at the pool for an hour or so, which is basically my limit, and then go back to the room to start packing up for our disembarkation tomorrow. Sad, but not really sad, because all we are doing is island-hopping back to Kona for another week of enjoyment!

We are flying first class tomorrow. You might ask, who would be so snooty as to fly First Class on a 40-minute flight?

Well, we have four bags. In coach, those four bags would cost us $25/35/25/35 for a total of $120. The total First Class fare?

$150.

Bags included.

OUCH (hurts his arm patting himself on the back)

1:15 PM - I'm done most of the packing that I can do right now, and I am well into a bottle of Tantalus Pinot Noir, the last bottle that we brought with us. Pool Bear is still enjoying her last day on the ship.


3:40 PM - At this point, I'm going to have to go to the pool to make sure that Pool Bear hasn't been Bearnapped, or, worse, fallen asleep in the sun. Alas, she has not, but she is in Pool Bear Heaven. She can stay there for a couple more hours.

4:00 PM - Tracey returns!! More than satisfied after an epic day at the pool. To send us off in style, they served lunch at the pool and had a live band.

As packing continues, I am suddenly very tired and I think it's time for another nappy-poo. Checking the stats, it is official that this sets a new Dean record for "Most Naps in a 7-Day Period". I bet I can beat it next week.

6:30 PM - To our dinner reservations at one of the main dining rooms. In between the room and the dining room, Tracey gets nauseous. The ship has recently taken off from port and is rocking pretty good. Combine that with the fact that I'm not really feeling 100% either (that damn cold seems to be pushing it's way back), we decide to forego our planned bottle of wine. I order a simple glass of white to go with dinner and Tracey doesn't have any at all.

Dinner is very good, but I can hardly eat much. I think after a week of indulging, my body is tapping out. Either that, or I am sicker than I think. Hopefully the former!

8:00 PM - Back in the room and finishing up our packing and preparation for tomorrow's flight to Kona. Very excited!

Packing up the computer now, so until tomorrow........


No comments:

Post a Comment